Sunday 18 August 2013

The Third Eye

Apologies to all my fans, I haven’t posted something in a while. I just went through my first writer’s block, a phase every writer must face. Anyway, I found a source of inspiration at last, my five hundred something gram Canon 600D slr.
Now my passion in photography dates back to our Manali- Chandigarh trip, when I was 10. I would always fight to get a chance to click the button, and I would always get the annoying “Don’t waste the rolls” from my mom. Since then, I wanted to own a camera, and do as I wish with it. Digital age has brought in more room for trial and experiments.

Since I bought my first ever dslr (I saved up pocket money and some of my gift money for this), I have started looking at the world with an all new eye. I would call my camera my third eye (rather second, I don’t really have a fully functional right eye). Here are a few points I would like to share with you all

1. The perspective matters the most.

Nothing can be defined as it is, it can only be defined how you see it. The key to photography is taking everyday objects in a fresh perspective. This means, we have to bend down to take photos of flowers and leaves at different angles. To take a photo of the subject, we must come down to its level.

This applies to life as well. We are quick to pass judgements about people on how they appear to us. The fat kid is lazy, the girl in shorts is a slut, that dude with tattoos is a druggie, that lady in salwar kameez is dumb... We do not even bother to hear the other side of the story and immediately categorise the world into black and white. If you put efforts, you can see anything in a different light.


How difference in light gives variotion to the leaves with the same primary properties



The background and the angle at which it is taken makes it unique






2. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

No bragging here but someone told me that their photos never come good, but I managed to make that person look good in the photos I clicked recently. The compliment made my day, because as a photographer, I want everyone to see the beauty in what they normally choose to ignore. I agree that some people might be “photogenic”, but it really doesn't mean anything to a photographer. We can make anyone look good by just getting the right light, angle and timing. Our secret is simple; we actually see the beauty in someone or something before clicking it. You have to get past the stereotypical definitions of attractive. Accepting a person for what they are is the first step, embracing them is the bigger step here.

As I was walking home, I saw this cart which was neglected and unnoticed by passer-by’s. 

3. Patience is the key.

Sometimes, you will have to wait for eternity to get the best shot. A wildlife photographer will give you an elaborate speech on patience. You may see a bird or a butterfly, but as you aim to shoot, they fly away. After so many attempts, you may probably get a shot right. You shouldn’t give up or get frustrated, it happens to the best of us.

This is a lesson which not only helps you pull through photography, but also life. Remember, it’s always worth a wait.

I had to take many shots before getting it perfectly into the frame.

4. Be spontaneous.

While you have to wait forever, the butterfly on the flowers won’t. They don’t have a Facebook account, so they won’t wait around in poses till you snap them. You need to be quick and spontaneous at every opportunity you get. The sun is not going to last on the horizon till you get the perfect shot. Same goes with events. Children are the best subject of spontaneity. And trust me; the candid spontaneous shots often are the best ones.

To be so, you need practice with shutter speeds and other settings. You also need to be prepared at all times. Sometimes you will find something interesting in the absence of your camera as well. I have taken many photos with my cellular phone as well, in fact, most of my Instagram photos come directly from my cell.

Getting a good shot of kids is the toughest, which makes it the most treasured and beautiful snapshots.

5. Heartbreak is a part of life.

I took a wonderful shot of a fellow photographer capturing a tree. The background was a vibrant shade of royal blue. The composition was perfect. The photo was an epitome of perfection. For a girl who got a dslr few days back, it was flawless. I had all intentions of sending it to the newspaper to publish it in the photo gallery.

However, while transferring the photos from the memory card to my laptop, all was lost. I tried hard to retrieve it, but the card got overwritten. In all my teen years, I was never THAT heart broken. This was worse than having to read about Dobby’s and Fred’s death in Harry Potter. But I remembered Edison’s incident. When his factory burned down, he took it as an opportunity to eliminate flaws and build up a better factory. It motivated me to take better photos to overcome the loss.

Those who are interested to surf through my photographs, here is the link - https://www.facebook.com/dyutira?ref=hl
It would make my day if you like the page. In return I will probably click a masterpiece portrait of you someday J

For the rest, adios!

Last but not the least, Happy World Photography Day (it's on 19th August) to you all.


5 comments:

  1. hey, i too have posted on the same title.. please check it out. on 17th Aug.

    http://truethoughts-niranjan.blogspot.in/2013/08/third-eye.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it, was heartfelt. It was like reading my own story through someone else :)

      Delete
  2. I dont know which one I should appreciate, the photos or the write up. They look so well married. I am so proud......You scaled so high but yet to go a long way. Keep it up.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete